[development] aggregator2 update path complete!

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue May 1 02:49:18 UTC 2007

John

There is no "offense", "food chain", nor "by the book crowd". Your choice of
words
here does not reflect reality.

A bit of history here:

Agg2 was used by some site that Ashraf worked on, and the ugliness was
evident. Performance sucked big time.

So, Ashraf proposed an aggregator3, which is a successor of aggregation2.
The list here, rightfully so, objected to module2, module3, ...etc, and
instructed
Ashraf to take over agg2 and rewrite it if necessary.

However, for reasons that Ashraf stated before (convincing for some, not for
others) he named his module aggregation.

Back to APIs. As you said an end user cares less if there is an API or not,
or if
the code is elegant or not, as long as it does the job. However, Drupal is
an
ecosystem, not just a CMS. If an API for something evolves, it will get
reused,
refined, refactored and everyone wins. Look at FormAPI for example, and
where
Drupal since 4.7 is. It is amazing.

An example from my own set of modules: I am the author of one of the first
voting modules for Drupal (nodevote). It did the job and many people use it.

Then Jeff Eaton came along and wrote the Voting API which is used for Vote
Up/Down, Fivestar, Simple vote, custom vote and  Medium Vote.

I could have been overprotective and refuse to do it because of a NIH
complex
(not invented here). On the contrary, I know a good idea when I see it, and
have been contemplating moving nodevote to Voting API for a year now, but
time does not permit it. There is some renewed interest in this, and it will

probably get done.

Conversely, Userpoints is a module that evolved from an application to an
API and is now used by many others modules (released and unreleased).

APIs make things easier for everyone, and it is good that people pool
resources
rather than cling to their own piece of code and be overprotective about it.

I now step down from the soap box.

--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com