[development] Sign-up procedure

Karthik narakasura at gmail.com
Tue May 1 15:09:41 UTC 2007

Shooting from the hip here:

IMO, there are 4 primary steps to registration:
a) Verify
b) Register
c) Moderate
d) Complete

The current default implementation: b, a, b, c, d.
Proposed implementation: a, b, c, d.

In other words, all that I am proposing is that registration involve
verification as a discrete first step (rather than the present hybrid
version). All other permutations and combinations currently possible
will remain so, as outlined below.

Admin approval:
a) Verify e-mail.
b) Registration : User created.
c) Moderation: tell user to await approval e-mail.
d) Complete registration.

The above will also ensure that admins only moderate verified users,
which, I believe, is not the case currently.

Restricted mode:
b) Registration (with e-mail field): User created.
c) Moderation: user is in restricted role. E-mail verification will
complete registration.
a) Verify e-mail.
d) Complete registration.

No approval required:
b) Registration: User created.
d) Complete registration process.

-----
Step b) - registration will just be the default user edit form. There
will be (by default) no question of auto-generated passwords and the
like.

The widest net is "prior e-mail verification" and this is an attempt
at streamlining this process. There is no question of this becoming
the only implementation.. just the default one.  Logintoboggan etc.
will still be around.

Cheers,
-K