[development] low hanging fruit for Drupal 6: variable defaults

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Thu May 3 10:13:05 UTC 2007

Wim, you said this is cool, because you don't need to check for an empty
string, but you would set the default to an empty string for the
settings form. So when the user saves the setting form, you get an empty
string back from variable_get(), which would show you the error you
skipped to check for because you use NULL as a default there. Once the
user saves the setting, you can have any number of different default,
you will always get the value the user saved.

Well, if you mangle with the variable after being submitted from the
form, and before being saved (which you did not mention before), it
means that you write more code where the form processing takes place
(instead of reusing the built in Drupal settings form saver). That moves
your code from one place to the other. And you will also need to code
around the saving of the localized variables later once we have that
included in Drupal.

I am fine with having this supported, in case this seems to be making
your life easier, although I don't agree that this is easier then not
mangling with variable values.

Gabor