[development] Two new core modules

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Thu May 3 13:31:50 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Sammy Spets <sammys-drupal at synerger.com> wrote:
> In addition to these modules i'd like to see token module's .inc file
> included into core. Haven't heard/read anything about this happening
> other than a quick chat to Eaton about the possibility.

I can't speak to whether or not token should be included in core.  I
can only say that if it's not, it will quickly be the most downloaded
contributed module.

More and more modules are beginning to depend on token. Auto
nodetitle, parts of ecommerce, custom breadcrumbs, and pathauto
currently depend on it. Moshe has committed code to cvs that requires
token into Organic Groups.  I imagine other projects are seeing the
benefit and will require it shortly.  Personally the upgrade between
Drupal versions (e.g. 5->6) is a time where I add in features that
I've been meaning to add.  I think that's pretty common and that
between 5 and 6 more modules will start depending on token.  There are
few pieces of code (including core) that wouldn't benefit from using
token.

Based upon the January download data, 3 of the top 35 modules either
currently rely on token or are in progress towards that.  All of the
modules that depend on token were downloaded 8,588 times in January.
8.588 downloads would put token at the top of the contrib module
download list (beating views by 185).  If I forecast a few modules
that would benefit from token the number of downloads that would also
require token quickly jumps to over 15,000 (project*, casetracker,
signup, troll, subscriptions, notify, spam).  For comparison, total
downloads of the Drupal core tarball were 57,509.

To be my own devil's advocate...if we use "number of downloads" as a
motivation for which modules should be included in core, then views,
tinymce, and cck are the top suspects in that order.

*/me shudders at tinymce*

In terms of a path to core for token - I don't know what it would be,
but there are actually several inc files in token.  I believe eaton
has ideas on how that could work if it were desirable and if we the
idea were to merge it into an existing module instead of just
including the module itself.

And now I'm putting away my pivot tables...

Regards,
Greg