[development] AJAX security issue

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue May 8 03:30:45 UTC 2007

True enough, but that being said, there's not a fundamental
difference between having an ajax script call a php page that checks
to see if a username has been taken, and having a a web form perform
the same validation.  So don't assume that Ajax is the problem here,
just realize that it doesn't provide any additional security either.

If you let an unauthenticated user know that a username has been
taken, then  you're basically giving away the list of usernames on
your site. Any mechanism can be brute forced with time.

Some common practices that are used to discourage bots from testing
all user accounts are as follows:

1. Put in a time delay based on a session variable.   After the 2nd
or 3rd try, make it start taking longer.  Consider doubling the
processing delay for every iteration.  It's important here to use a
long delay if the session cookie (or variable is not set), since
passing session cookies is a voluntary thing for browsers. Bots can
work around this by destroying and recreating session cookies for
every hit, but it does discourage some of the more common ones, and
makes you not the "Lowest hanging fruit".

2. Use a captcha, or math problem or some variant as part of the
username selection process.  This makes a user do some visual
recognition or smarts to try and ensure its not a bot.

3. Use something like apache mod_security to control who can access
these pages on a site.   Mod security can also be used to invoke
limits on how many times a page gets hit from the same source IP etc,
and try and detect bots from hitting specific pages.  This is
probably the most complicated, but also the most secure of the
strategies.

There may be other strategies, but these are the most common ones
I've seen used.

Typical bot protection approaches limit the number