[development] Drupal 6 vs. language support

Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen freso.dk at gmail.com
Wed May 16 07:23:26 UTC 2007

2007/5/15, Gabor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu>:
>What is in Drupal 6 for multilanguage support:
>
>  - "locales" are replaced by "languages" (we know a lot more about
>    languages: their native names, direction (RTL or LTR), languages
>    can be weighted, we use the new BCP 47 language codes, etc)

Can you provide a link to the discussion about this?

Personally, I find that the above makes no sense. Locales are
per-culture, languages are... per-language. Localisation is more than
just translating, it's also about improving useability for a given
locale (using colour codes and symbols familiar to locale comes to
mind). Also, locale codes are partly defined by language
(language_LOCALE), so all the language stuff you know about, you'd
still know about given a locale.
(I recall localisation being brought up for the issue regarding "*
Required", which would, IIRC, be an excellent case for an argument of
localisation vs. pure translation.)

But, well, if you can link me to the discussion, I might be convinced
it was a good move. :)

--
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>