[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' code in TinyMCE module?

Matthew Farina matt at mattfarina.com
Mon May 21 23:35:01 UTC 2007

I cringe bringing this in but, this conversation covers smaller
scripts such as jQuery plugins of which there are several in CVS.
These are scripts that, uncompressed, are only a few kilobytes in size.

Not having an easy way for users to install these modules creates a
big barrier for entry[1] for new drupalers.  While we may not have a
problem installing outside scripts, is this a barrier worth doing
something about?  I would prefer to see an installer that can
download and install the outside scripts securely.  But, there just
isn't enough time before the code freeze, as far as I can tell.

So, that leaves 3 options.
1)  Leave things just as they are with no outside libraries in CVS.
2)  Allow them in CVS with some sort of criteria for entry.
3)  Allow them in for now with a future path to have an outside
installer

I would prefer to include them lowering the barrier for entry and put
building a better installer on the the to do list.  But, I can live
perfectly fine with #1.

Just my 2 cents.

- Matt

[1] http://headrush.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/06/