[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' code in TinyMCE module?

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue May 22 08:30:46 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, 22. May 2007, Lodewijk Evers wrote:
> Why not to add it to the drupal CVS repository:
> If the FCKeditor were uploaded into CVS that would mean that there would
> be ~500 extra files in the repository, which just isn't clean and
> proper. CVS is for tracking development, and since no-one in their right
> mind will be developing for the FCKeditor or tinyMCE project in the
> drupal repository (that would be a fork of those projects) it does not
> make sense to include those files in there either. Those 500 files will
> just be doing nothing there and taking up resources like a fax modem in
> a centrino laptop.
> A guideline could be that if a project has a repository of their own,
> and even a complete developer community - don't even think about
> importing it into the drupal repository.

I completely agree here.

A possible solution to that problem could be one or more description files
which cause drupal.org to download a file when a project release is created,
and optionally unpack it in the folder where the description file lies.
You get the idea:

/tinymce.fetch:
url = http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/tinymce/tinymce_2_1_1_1.tgz
description = "TinyMCE source package"
archive = tgz

When the release is created, the url is downloaded, extracted with tar into
the module's root folder, and the tarball's contents (the tinymce/ folder)
are packaged together with the module.

This does not solve the security issue (assuming that this really matters) and
does not solve license incompatibility issues (which can still be tracked
though, by inspecting release tarballs of modules containing .fetch files or
downloading the url manually), but it does solve the code duplication
problem.

It's not up to me to decide if the remaining problems are big enough to keep
up the restriction.

Cheers,
  Jakob