[development] OG User Roles: user_access / node add / $user->roles

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue May 22 05:08:57 UTC 2007

Thinking about this maybe the problem is user_access, not the roles
themselves.  Check out the user_access function in user.module.  Note
that is uses a static variable caching mechanism, so it may have
already determined the results of "user_access" before you've
modified the roles.  (It would need to in order to route the request
and check access permissions).

One way to check would be to call user_access immediately after you
set the roles, and see if it gives you the proper result, (in your
watchdog or debug files).

The bad news is that I don't really know of a good way to solve this
if that's the case. I'm afraid that we need a hook_user_access in
core in order to implement this.  Either that or an added parameter
to force user_access to ignore the cache.

Here's hoping I'm wrong :).

Dave