[development] updating translations: how valuable is user data after all?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Tue May 22 22:50:00 UTC 2007

The only two options I see in this case is either to give them a status of
"unknown" or to somehow query the user for the behavior he wants during the
update (either to preserve them, modified bit set, or to make them
overridable, modified bit unset). How we can query a user during an update
is a mystery to me.

I would go for creating a third status of unknown as this will open up other
possibilities later on since they will at least be distinguishable from
normal strings. It will also by some time if the code freeze is "frozen".

What we could do with them after that is open to suggestions, but I can
think of a scenario where importing future PO files could check for their
presence and then setting their status to "modified"/"not modified"
according to weather they match the PO file strings or not. There's really
no totally clean way to solve this. Any assumptions on behalf of the user
could bear real bad consequences.