[development] PHP5 going forward

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Wed May 23 02:38:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

I like this idea, and getting as many of the major PHP projects involved
as possible would be the best way to go.

I like the setting of the date for dropping PHP4 support, as it gives
something to work towards, but I think that it needs to be at least 12
months into the future to be nice to all the Hosting companies. This
also gives the PHP projects 12 months to make sure that the current
release is 100% on PHP5.

As has been said else where php4 is not going to go away on that date,
but next major releases of these products after this will only support 5
and beyond.

Gordon.