[development] PHP5 going forward

Allie Micka allie at pajunas.com
Wed May 23 03:25:27 UTC 2007

As a web hosting company, I think this is a great idea.

One of the impediments to updating all hosting accounts is the cost/benefit
of making such an invasive change.  The biggest cost is convincing customers
that it's necessary to incur additional testing and modification costs on
sites that were working just fine with PHP4.

We're driven by the market.  With only minor demand and little justification
to rock our customers' boats, we're as stuck as everyone else, and PHP5
instances are relegated to special configurations or separate applications.
Consequently, big projects must support PHP4 to play to our least common
denominator - it's a vicious circle!

Such a "deadline" would provide enough justification to make the switch
without worrying that PHP4 customers will feel jerked around on a whim and
go elsewhere ( to that "stable" PHP4 host ).

Long story short: +1