[development] PHP5 going forward

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 23 13:37:43 UTC 2007

Quoting Gordon Heydon <gordon at heydon.com.au>:

> Hi,
>
> I like this idea, and getting as many of the major PHP projects
> involved as possible would be the best way to go.
>
> I like the setting of the date for dropping PHP4 support, as it gives
> something to work towards, but I think that it needs to be at least
> 12 months into the future to be nice to all the Hosting companies.
> This also gives the PHP projects 12 months to make sure that the
> current release is 100% on PHP5.
>
> As has been said else where php4 is not going to go away on that
> date, but next major releases of these products after this will only
> support 5 and beyond.

Because of earlier conversation on this list, I've been trying to build
the most recent of all third party software, Apache 2.2, php 5.2.1,
etc.  The problem I have is a PCRE issue in the unicode.inc file.  I've
tried reverting back to the earliest PCRE library that 5.2.1 supports
to the most recent 7.1 release.  The issue prevails (warning:
preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Compilation failed: this version of
PCRE is not compiled with PCRE_UTF8 support at offset 0 in
/home/webadmin/drupal5.progw.org/html/includes/unicode.inc on line 47.
) and you can see the result at http://drupal5.progw.org.

Researching the issue with Google hasn't brought much help.  I did find
two d.o nodes where this issue was brought up
http://drupal.org/node/97673 and http://drupal.org/node/40825.  I made
a comment in one of them that I thought it might be an issue between
the ext/pcre in PHP and an upgraded version of PCRE library but I don't
know that since I tried PCRE-6.6 and that failed to help.  Let's agree
on which node above to continue this discussion and duplicate the other
one.

I use the configure scripts rather than RPM because that is my
preference.  I can give the configuration parameters for each on
request.

Earnie