[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' codein TinyMCE module?

Jeff Robbins jeff at lullabot.com
Fri May 25 12:57:55 UTC 2007

What exactly does "foreign code" mean?!? If we write it from scratch,
it's not foreign, right? What if we copy some of the code from
another GPL project? What if we only slightly modify another GPL
project, perhaps just enough to make it work with Drupal? Well then
it can't be downloaded from the original source. Are you telling me
that this can't be included in the contrib repository? This sort of
modification is the entire spirit of the GPL! It's about freedom and
growth. By not allowing it into the repository, we are actually
diverging from the spirit of the GPL.

How modified does a project need to be in order to be considered
"native" Drupal code? I would submit that it DOES NOT need to be
modified at all in order to be considered Drupal code. In the case of
Drupal 5's JQuery, Drupal includes JQuery version 1.0.3 which is now
fully deprecated in the JQuery community. Many of the JQuery plug-in
maintainers do not continue to distribute plug-ins that function with
1.0.x and so there is no way to link to these plugins and ask users
to download them elsewhere. So in the form of the old versions of
these plugins, we have unmodified code, that for all intents and
purposes, only works with Drupal and can only be found in the Drupal
code repository.

We have a great resource with the Drupal CVS repository. I think that
we should be as accepting as possible in order to foster creativity
and growth. The GPL and Source Forge both provide examples as to the
spirit of this openness. I think we should take notes. The larger
that Drupal becomes, the more "gray area" code will emerge. I believe
the rules for code inclusion should be very very simple: All code
must be GPLed.

Don't get me wrong, I would be ALL FOR allowing LGPLed code into the
repository, but I also understand that the line needs to be drawn
somewhere. But I think when people talk about *not* allowing at-one-
time-external GPLed code into the Drupal repository, they're simply
on crack.

-Jeff