[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' codein TinyMCE module?

Wim Leers bashratthesneaky at gmail.com
Sun May 27 09:16:34 UTC 2007

I must say that I strongly agree with Derek.

An attempt to summarize:
1) The current policy is unfriendly to both module maintainers and
module users.
2) Strict rules simplify maintenance and avoid chaos. But in this
case, that's not true: more chaos is created!
3) Packaging scripts would have their own (quite major) problems, so
that's no solution either.

Shouldn't that be enough to change the policy? It would mean less
work for everybody involved:
1) The CVS guardians don't have to do anything more or less at all.
2) The additional files shouldn't affect CVS performance.
3) Module maintainers don't have to worry anymore about how to make
the downloading and installing of foreign code as painless as
possible, as it will be included in the module.
4) Module users wouldn't even have to know they're using foreign
code. The added advantage is that (especially with the update_status
module installed, which will be in D6 core) they will probably update
more often than when they'd have to download the foreign code
themselves. So this is more secure IMHO, not less. Of course this
depends on the module maintainer. But a module doesn't have to rely
on foreign code to be insecure, so this point still stands.

Of course, only GPL'ed foreign code could be included.

I hope this summary helps in making the necessary decisions.

Wim