[development] Fieldsets for profile variables

Mike Anon anon4321 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:38:37 UTC 2007

Mark Leicester <mark.leicester at efurbishment.com> wrote:

> Yes, I've also found the need for the sort of thing you describe. I
> have a working implementation that allows the arbitrary grouping of
> fields into fieldsets, where those fieldsets may be assigned and
> weighted within any category including the account page itself.

I left the account validation in.  (Actually it is the account
restriction.)  So adding to the account page isn't something I had
contemplated.

> Like
> you I only allow a single level of fieldset. I use an extra table to
> group fields by a fieldset name in the same way that the current
> implementation groups by category names.

Well, the current implementation of category names is a bit less than what
you describe you have implemented for fieldsets.  At least in 4.7.  It is
merely an additional field within the profile fields table and there is no
weighting allowed.   Hence, the categories are displayed  in alphabetical
order.

In addition to setting up a separate table, which I called
profile_fieldsets, I just included a parent field in the table so the code
can be expanded at some point.

> My admin interface is
> incomplete as yet (clients were happy to have it configured manually
> and then left alone).

My UI is a clone of the way that the profile fields themselves are input.
In essence, I just copied the profile module, renamed it profilefieldsets,
stripped out everything from the resulting module that dealt with the user
level and kept things that dealt with the profile fields, modifying it to
deal with profile fieldsets.

> I've also added radio buttons to the available profile field types.

In what context?

> It sounds like we're more or less at the same place. Shall we compare
> notes?

Absolutely.  I'll send you what I have off list, unless you think it should
be shared here for others to comment upon.

Thanks for the response, Mark.

mike