[development] $node namespace woes -- can we fix this in D6?

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu May 31 22:49:58 UTC 2007

On May 31, 2007, at 1:53 PM, adrian rossouw wrote:

> couldn't we get away with changing how it merges the data?

that's basically what i had in mind.  and yeah, changing all the call
sites (and therefore, breaking most patches in the queue) is the
problem. ;)

i had a scheme for avoiding the majority of the call-site changes
(and therefore, patch brokenness) by letting the stuff from {node}
and {node_revisions} continue to live at the root of $node (so
everywhere that does $node->nid, $node->title, etc wouldn't have to
change).  however, that's broken by {node}.comment vs.
comment.module's data. :(

anyway, please see http://drupal.org/node/148420 for more details on
this, and for the continuation of this thread.

now that we've got another 4 weeks before freeze, there's actually a
chance in hell of getting this done for D6... ;)

thanks,
-derek