[development] $_REQUEST/$_COOKIE scope in URLs?

Richard Morse remorse at partners.org
Fri Nov 2 18:38:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:20 AM, J-P Stacey wrote:

> I was wondering: what's the rationale behind doing this? The only
> use I've worked out for putting cookies on the URL is when you're
> migrating session data across domains. They're the last thing I'd
> expect to start appearing in paging URLs: those just need the
> current-page URL with modified offset and count parameters of some
> sort.

If I understand what you're asking, it's very useful.

Example: I have a module (site_user_list) that lets you search on
through the profile fields of users. It then displays a table of all
the users who match your search, with columns for the various profile
fields (this is a very simplistic description of what it's doing).
You can click on the various columns to change the sort order. If the
REQUEST is not serialized into the URL when the links to sort the
table columns are created by theme_table, when you click no a column
heading to resort the table, suddenly your search is abandoned.

Ricky

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.