[development] Table hook idea

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Nov 8 05:26:25 UTC 2007

Gordon Heydon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once drupal 6 is out I am going to be continuing my development of
> merging theme(table) to the formapi. I have gotten the #pre_render into
> the formapi so that we can generate the table from a drupal_render().

I am really against merging theme('table') and formapi for two reasons:

1) I've already written that theme('table') is harmful to themers, in
general. I want to see less use of it, not more.

2) I feel very strongly that we do *too* much display-oriented work in
fapi and we need to do less. We need to separate that work, not combine
it more. Yes, we need to do it in such a way that we retain the power
that we have, but right now we are giving the module developer power at
the expense of the themer. This is a trend I am actively attempting to
reverse.