[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Balazs Dianiska csillagasz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 18:15:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have to say that the feedback was valuable, and I don't feel that
any of the posts before dismissed it as irrelevant. I saw your
(Dries') presentation at the DrupalCon about the future of Drupal, and
one thing is not clear, which I see being reflected here:

> - A lot of people come to Drupal from a blogging background.

Whom do we want to make Drupal for? I think you can't provide a good
blogging CMS and a generic usage content management system. For
example see the popularity of Wordpress vs Joomla, loads of people use
the first for blogging, but not for larger websites, and the contrary
to Joomla.

> - A lot of what Chris said is valid for non-blogging contexts.

Nonetheless what I wrote above, this is true.

> Drupal 6 is what will be used in 2008 and possibly part of 2009.  A
> *lot* of people will bump in exactly the issues that Chris
> highlighted. Let's not classify this feedback as irrelevant -- it's
> some of the most valuable usability feedback we've had in months.

My question is where do we draw the line for usability issues? When
does complexity kneel before usability? For a generic CMS a more
complex would be preferred, for blogs a simpler one. Should we start
to think in Drupal distributions, targeted at each major audience?

cheers,
balazs