[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Nov 11 02:56:23 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 9:36 PM, Liza Sabater <blogdiva at culturekitchen.com> wrote:

> Taxonomies are a fantastic example. It's so academic, so semantic web, I
> love it, but it hurts many other people. Actually, when it comes down to
> it,
> most people don't care about the acaemic points of taxonomies. They just
> want to tag their stuff so search engines can better index their posts.

Agreed. Remember that the name "taxonomy" is not used, apart from the module
name itself.

One of the things I disagree with Gerhard and Karoly on.

I'd "re-brand" taxonomies as so:

> Taxonomy : Index or Global list of categories
>
> Vocabulary : Category list section
>
> Term : Term, but described as equal to keywords and tags (because from the
> us's perspective, they are).

This will confuse matters more.

Here is how it was mapped from the old days, which was confusing and too
technical (not only computer science, but biology too!).

- Taxonomy -> Categories
- Vocabulary -> Vocabulary (this one is the confusing part, perhaps that is
the only thing that needs to be renamed. How about just Category item or
Category ID?).
- Term -> Term

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin