[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Nov 11 18:47:12 UTC 2007

On 11/11/07, Gábor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu> wrote:
 "Strings are not frozen"

I'd like to raise an issue Chris Messina didn't mention in his review,
though I think the problem is similar to ones he points out.

There is inconsistency in the comments module with the way the strings
"comment" and "reply" are used. A "comment" is meant to be a row in
the comments table with a pid = 0 (it has no "parent", it is a
response to the node content). A "reply" refers to a row in the
comments table where the pid != 0 (it has a parent, it is a reply to
"comment" or another "reply" with the pid = the cid of the parent).

In the comment module, the form labels, submit labels and link titles
are not consistently applied, adding confusion to the distinction
between a "comment" and a "reply".

I'm proposing that the "reply" strings be removed and replaced with
"comment." The programming that allows for the excellent threading
system in the comment module should stay. I just think that it is too
confusing to try to describe that threading with one-word terms that
seem like synonyms to end users.

I have filed an issue in the Drupal issue queue:

http://drupal.org/node/189659

I've also brought the issue to to the usability group on g.d.o.
http://groups.drupal.org/node/6966

There are positive responses to the idea that we call all comments the
same thing.

Shai