[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Mon Nov 12 09:10:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 09:57 +0100, Philippe Jadin wrote:
> We could introduce a new concept, beside access rules, this would be
> "user knowledge level" or something like that. At installation, we
> could ask the user if he is a newbie or an advanced admin or something
> in between. Then, the UI could be adapted and some options eliminated
> for newbies.

I hate those UIs. The "newbie" UI is never sufficient, so you always
have to upgrade to the "expert" or "advanced" UI anyway, which is a poor
excuse for dropping every possible options together.
Options should be:
- thrown away if useless (e.g. don't ask me to enable a feature, I
  have enabled the module already).
- detected automatically whenever possible (and thrown away).
- rationally grouped together when they must stay.

	Xav