[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Mon Nov 12 13:13:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 14:59 +0100, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Greg Knaddison schrieb:
> > On Nov 12, 2007 6:10 AM, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:
> >> Options should be:
> >> - thrown away if useless (e.g. don't ask me to enable a feature, I
> >>   have enabled the module already).
> >> - detected automatically whenever possible (and thrown away).
> >> - rationally grouped together when they must stay.
> >
> > How about one more option on that list:
> >
> > - Hidden, but configurable by admins
> >
> > I am quite embarrassed by the current pathauto admin settings page.[1]
> >
> > It is _insanely_ long.  But many people have begged to have those
> > features added so I can't just drop features.
>
> IMO part of being a module maintainer is the task to say "no" to
> requested features if they aren't generally useful.

Fully agreed with Earnie & you.

Also Colin, remove the length settings, or make that hidden somewhere.
That's a kind of setting I forgot: the "please don't fail" option.

You could also avoid the transliteration options, and always
transliterate if you find the i18n-ascii.txt file.

All the help stuff should be shown on mouseover or with a click.

Just this should already make this settings page way narrower, without
having to click everywhere to disclose fields.

Then, it's your module so it's your call :)

HTH,
	Xav