[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

catch libcom catch56 at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:45:19 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 1:49 PM, Shakur <shakur at techarena.co.uk> wrote:
...so why cant we remove those
> options we think are to detailed and have a variable setting in one
> place (setting.php?) whereby advance users can turn those on?
>

> [1]
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/1936557315/in/set-72157603036774024/

About 1/5th of that page is taken up by comment control settings - I'm
unaware of any drupal site in existence which uses them, and have an
issue against D7 to remove them [1], and another one to remove the
option for display order [2] - also rarely used, and easy to override
in contrib by the time we'd be taking it out, if not already.

With taxonomy module - I really think it should be renamed back to
taxonomy as Earnie suggests to avoid the "Category, Categories,
Vocabularies" confusion, then change the description in the admin page
to "Set up tags and categorisation" (which is what it actually does,
and provides the 'tags' hint to new users mincing words to do so).
Another thing which might help would be some deep links to stuff like
"tags configuration" within the /admin page descriptions so users
could dive straight in.

catch

1. http://drupal.org/node/175841
2. http://drupal.org/node/191499