[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:08:42 UTC 2007

On 11 Nov 2007, at 23:17, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
> In my opinion, any patch should be committable to core once it works
> on mysql and has a decent hope (use common sense) to work on
> postgresql. Once it's committed those who care about postgresql, if
> they so want to, can test and if there is a need, fix it.
>
> Prime example: http://drupal.org/node/146466 this is the most
> important patch we have currently as it makes Drupal search speedy and
> nice. And it is more or less on hold just because noone is sure
> whether the postgresql update works or not.

No. Supporting multiple databases is a good thing and something we
want to get better at.

While MySQL is popular in our developer world, it /only/ has a 30%
market share in the real world.  Making a MySQL-only CMS is like
making a Firefox-only website.  It's OK for techies, but not for mam
and dad.

I'm not willing to drop PostgreSQL support, certainly not after we put
time and effort in the schema API and now we started to scratch the
surface of object relational mapping.

PostgreSQL is not the ugly sister.  Admittedly though, we keep waiting
for her prince on a white horse.  ;)