[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Greg Knaddison greg at pingvox.com
Mon Nov 12 19:06:23 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 1:02 PM, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> An undocumented feature (which anything done manually in settings.php is) is not a feature.  Even if we had an about: page somewhere that let people directly edit the variables table (which would depend on the variable-defaults hook that some were working on for D6 but weren't able to finish), we would be remiss if we didn't document all of the settings there.  Then we're right back where we started, just on a different, larger page.

This seems like a weakness in the plan, not a fatal flaw.  Our ability
to get query data via the dev_query variable is an existing instance
of this idea and of the problem that you cite.  Same story with
allow_insecure_uploads in upload.module.  These are features without
UI or documentation.

> Bear in mind, the sort of thing that Firefox puts in about: is much more esoteric than what we're talking about.

I don't know,  I'd say that "changing the mouse pointer to different
styles based on the target using the chrome/*.css" [1]  isn't really
all that much more esoteric than the "per content type positioning of
the the comment display style control."  How many people use comment
controls, much less change that setting, much less need to change it
on a per content type basis?

Thanks for your thoughts on the idea.

Greg

[1] http://lifehacker.com/software/ask-the-readers/best-firefox-userchromecss-tweaks-301520.php