[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Hans Salvisberg drupal at salvisberg.com
Wed Nov 14 18:05:08 UTC 2007

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> >   vocabulary -> category group
>
> Two words would be confusing, especially if category is used for term.
>
> How about just "category" here.
>
> >   term -> category or tag
>

> We can keep it as a term. The issue is the "vocab", not so much "term". Tag
> is more specific to free tagging, and may be overloading the term.

<sigh>

The problem is that everyone intuitively knows what a category is.

If you have a term "dog" and you tag a post with "dog", then that post goes
in to the category "dog". That's the common sense non-technical meaning of
"category". You can even stretch that to include terms like "Gamer's Forum"
-- a post in the Gamer's Forum goes into the category "Gamer's Forum".
That's what classification is all about, putting things into categories.

Using "category" for anything else but for terms will just not work for
normal people without re-educating them about what that common word means.
IOW, it will not work.

Now, what's that thing in between -- the "animals" and the "forums" -- in
plain English? Go ask the man in the street:
If you have categories like "dog", "bird", and "elephant", then what would
you call that group of categories? Answer: "animals"

Oops, answered my own question, the real one...

Hans