[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Nov 16 22:40:07 UTC 2007

"Karoly Negyesi" <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> > If we go down the route of accepting MySQL-only code, it will be very difficult
> > to get out.
> >

> http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-November/027299.html
>
> "In my opinion, any patch should be committable to core once it works on mysql and has a decent hope (use common sense) to work on postgresql."
>
> How can people read
>
> "Let's drop postgresql!"
>
> into my words? I am nonplussed.

In my opinion, the reason for that is that it's sooo damn easy
to install PostgreSQL and test a patch against it.  Why would
you request that patches get committed when it's "likely" that
it will work with a supported backend, when it's so easy to
go the extra few feet and verify?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com