[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 17 03:36:41 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 9:11 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> > > testers. Second, damn easy to install PostgreSQL? Really? Where is the
> > > handbook page? The video?
> > >
> > > Wait a minute ... allow me to retract my previous statement and
> > > get out of the trap you tricked me into.
> > >
> > > Why are you being so confrontational?  You _asked_ _why_ and I
> > > gave you my opinion.  Now you're arguing that my opinion is no
> > > good, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still my opinion.
> > >
> > > Stop turning this into an argument and perhaps you'll get more
> > > support.  I have no desire to argue the relative difficulty of
> > > installing PostgreSQL on this list.  If you want to discuss
> > > that, take it to the PostgreSQL mailing lists.
> > >

> > Bill,
> >
> > Karoly is not being confrontational. Why do you say so?
>
> When these kinds of things happen, I'm torn between defending
> my viewpoint and letting it drop for the sake of peace and
> quiet.  In this case, I will state my reason then let it drop.
>
> The conversation went as follows:
> Karoly: Why is everyone against my viewpoint.
> Me: I think it's because ...
> Karoly: You're wrong.
>
> If he didn't want my opinion, why did he ask?  It felt
> confrontational and pointlessly argumentative to me, and it also
> felt like it was about to degrade into "MySQL vs. PostgreSQL".
>
> That's how I saw it.  If others saw it differently, then that's
> their viewpoint.

I think we are going in circles here.

His very point is that HE IS NOT ADVOCATING that Drupal become a MySQL only
monoculture. Some thought it to be so, but it is not. Nor do I believe that
anyone supports that for that matter.

His point, that the lack of resources behind PostgreSQL is delaying the
acceptance of patches that work in MySQL, thus holding Drupal back.

I believe I covered this point in my previous two emails. Let those who use
PostgreSQL put the effort of testing the patches, not hold everything back.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com