[development] Do not let postgresql hold back great patches

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 17 22:30:48 UTC 2007

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

> The path should be to make the DB abstraction layer more DB agnostic
> and make developer more aware there is not just mysql.
> Everything will look terrible if you design for mysql and then try to
> port it to any other DB. This increase the inertia of moving to a
> more agnostic DB layer and supporting anything else than mysql.

Which is what I suggested about 4 days ago and created
http://drupal.org/node/191486 to take this on.  Writing to Drupal SQL
within the code base and letting the further abstraction handle the
differences.  Drupal SQL would have a format similar to MySql so that
the commands should be able to be passed directly to the MySql layer
when the db_type is mysql but other db_type would parse the string
further to make changes as needed.  This can also fix quoting
differences so I can quote the columns in MySql style with the back
quote character "`" in my Drupal SQL code and when the db_type is pgsql
I change it to the single quote "'" character (assuming that is what
pgsql uses to quote columns).

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/