[development] Simpletest: embrace and utilize

Robert Douglass rob at robshouse.net
Mon Nov 26 19:02:26 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

in very recent history I was faced with a set of programming problems
that I was having a seriously difficult time handling. The architecture
of my upcoming Solr module had gotten away from me, and every effort I
made to reel it in and bring it under control was leading to dead ends
and broken code. The way that I finally got out of the mess was by
installing the Simpletest module and writing test cases for the
functionality I needed. The act of codifying the expected behavior of
every unit of the module helped me get over the hump and write code that
works. Furthermore, the more test cases I produced, the faster the
development proceeded. Code began to write itself (almost).

So I've now written an article on unit testing and Simpletest:
http://www.lullabot.com/articles/introduction-unit-testing

I want to thank Moshe, Rok, and all the others who have worked on this
code for so long, with so little praise. I hope that now the mass of
Drupal developers will start to wake up to the potential of writing test
cases and dig in.

http://drupal.org/project/simpletest

-Robert