[development] Fwd: Drupal.org uprade: contributed module dependencies

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Tue Nov 27 16:43:12 UTC 2007

> > Maybe the Drupal Association needs to not only deal with the
> > infrastructure but maybe also look at bringing on some full time coders
> > whos job it is to not only code for Core, but also run around the edges
> > and bring some of the more important contributed modules up to the next
> > release.
>
> AFAIK, that's against the bylaws. See
> http://association.drupal.org/about/introduction
>
> It's a little confusing though since it says it can't direct "planning
> or development" but it could "Support development by awarding grants
> or paying wages."  Perhaps someone from the association could clarify
> that.  I'm not sure the association has funds to do this anyway.

The Drupal Association can hire people to work on core or contrib
code. We haven't done so in the past that I can recall, but we will be
voting on a proposal to fund the project module port in our next
meeting. That module suite is key for running our web site -
drupal.org

The bylaw restriction you refer to is that the Association cannot
dictate what gets committed and what does not. Thats left up the
community, as has always been the case.