[development] How many modules is too many?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Nov 30 19:37:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 2:17 PM, Mike Cantelon <m_cantelon at straight.com> wrote:

>  Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
> (Changing the subject)
>
> I regularly see 80+ to 110+, and that causes Apache to eat 100MB per
> process, which is really not good ...
>
> This is the open buffet binge syndrome detailed here:
>

> http://2bits.com/articles/server-indigestion-the-drupal-contributed-modules-open-buffet-binge-syndrome.html
>
> Great article... Has anyone figured out what parts of the module
> architecture are most expensive memory-wise so they can be examined?

Yes.

a) The include_once() part is the most expensive. That is common for all
modules, and the more you have the more you suffer (but there are
solutions).
b) Creating large associative arrays (e.g. the way we handled URL aliases
before 4.7).
c) Doing a lot of things over the network (e.g. subscriptions module and
Google Sitemap module with certain settings. One emails people, the other
pings Google).
d) Lack of an op-code cache/accelerator.
e) Excessive SQL queries, either number of queries or heavy ones. (Just saw
a site with 11,400 queries per page. Ended up being badly written PHP code
pasted in a block that loads on every page).

For a) I am writing an article with more details on the include_once part
over the weekend (if not sooner).

For c) and d) there is an article or two on 2bits, one with the exact
settings that causes slowness.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com