[development] Core drupal.module moved to contrib site_network.module

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Tue Oct 9 15:20:10 UTC 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Sean Robertson wrote:

> I've been able to use @drupal.org on quite a few other sites too,
> so I think it'd be a good idea to focus some efforts on making this
> backwards compatible.

Apparently few people read the issue:

http://drupal.org/node/178768

Or they would have seen Moshe's comment #22 there:

http://drupal.org/node/178768#comment-317538

"I strongly recommend that drupal.org continue to run this module.
Many many people on groups.drupal.org use login via [distributed
authentication] to drupal.org and [t]hey will all be shut out if we
stop running this module. There are lots of other sites like this too."

Even if it's no longer in core, a) drupal.org itself can continue to
run it for as long as we want and b) other sites that rely on it can
run it too.  It just means it's no longer a default part of Drupal
core for D6 and beyond.

That said, we *should* have a transition plan to get people off the
legacy distributed authentication scheme, turn d.o into an OpenID
provider, and get everyone using that.  But that doesn't mean we
should either make the new site_network contrib "backwards
compatible" (that's *all* it is) ;) nor that we should add "backwards
compatible" distributed authentication code to our OpenID support
(which would be a colossal mistake).  In fact, this transition plan
probably  requires more marketing and education than code, though
some kind of tool to help migrate users might make this go more
smoothly.

Cheers,
-Derek