[development] Core drupal.module moved to contribsite_network.module

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Tue Oct 9 21:11:31 UTC 2007

On 9-Oct-07, at 11:03 AM, Boris Mann wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Sean Robertson <seanr at ngpsoftware.com> wrote:
>> I've been able to use @drupal.org on quite a few other sites too,
>> so I
>> think it'd be a good idea to focus some efforts on making this
>> backwards
>> compatible.
>
> I think we can probably enable a special openid_drupal module that
> dereferences username at drupal.org (or configurable,
> username at example.com) for backwards compatibility. Anyone want to look
> at what it would take for this?

IMO, this is wasted effort... and doesn't actually fix anything.
There isn't really 'backwards compatibility' here... we *want* people
to get out of the habit of entering their d.o (or other) username &
password around on the web.

We have a backwards compatible offering - in contrib - the point here
is is that - as goba has pointed out - there needs to be the authname
tweak in the upgrade path (not a big effort)... but my initial point
was really more a 'marketing' issue:

Lest we are prepared for the onslaught of OMFG I CNA'T LOG IN DRUPAL
SUXX tickets - we should be pretty clear about the change in release
notes, etc etc - and have a policy what to do in *.d.o in the change
over. I'm much more inclined - and have said in the past - that we
opt for a changeover period while both old style and openid are
available with a clear, publicized EOL for the former.

> James, if you are working on code, please check in interim changes so
> we don't duplicate efforts.

hrm?
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net