[development] code proposal: localization of currency, ...

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Oct 21 20:06:40 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> I was looking for any "DateTime" Object into 5.2 and I didn't find
> anything interesting other than in xmlrpcs.inc.
> I did look for anything related to drupal and datetime objects and I
> stumbled into:
> http://drupal.org/node/130694
> http://drupal.org/files/issues/datetime.module.txt
> and here
> http://drupal.org/node/37405
> with a reference to Drupal 7.
>
> hints?
>
> No matter what I'll end to do... but maybe there is some chance it
> could be recycled if I've an idea of what are the plans.

We don't use DateTime in Drupal 6 at all, as it's PHP 5.2 only, and Drupal 7
hasn't opened up yet.  KarenS would probably be the go-to person on what the
date handling plans are for D7.

for DateTime in general, I recommend this page:

http://laughingmeme.org/2007/02/27/looking-at-php5s-datetime-and-datetimezone/

It's a good description of the theory behind how date handling works in PHP
5.2, as well as the pros and cons of the DateTime class signature itself.
(Short version: It really needs to be a Value Object, but it isn't, but a
Value Object wrapper around it shouldn't be hard.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson