[development] code proposal: localization of currency, ...

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 23 18:07:53 UTC 2007

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:12:01 -0400
> Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:
>
>> > Just curious... are there float that don't share with currency
>> > separators and grouping?
>
>> The possibility exists but probably more based on some other unit
>> of measure.  This thought just brought a good point to mind;
>> currency is a unit of measure, so in looking at coding for
>> localizing currency other units of measure should also be
>> considered.
>
> But you should consider formatting and not conversion.
> Conversion is a responsibility of the application (module) not of
> core.

Are you sure?  What about miles vs kilometers?  What about foreign
exchanges of currency?

> Unless you could group unit of measure in few groups it would be
> overwhelming.

The unit of measure would need to be stored with the value in the DB so
that if I enter 2 miles you can read it as 3.219 (or 3,219 or 3 219 or
...) kilometers and we now both have a good mental picture.  Formatting
is only 1/2 the picture, converting to differing units of measure is
the other half.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/