[development] Crossing information between content types

Yuval Hager yuval at avramzon.net
Thu Oct 25 11:09:33 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> The CCK developera re always one step ahead. They have some helpful
> functions for building joins that will work even if a field changes
> its multiple status or you do an upgrade. Here is an example "safe"
> join:
>
> $field_bw = content_fields('field_blog_weight');
> $db_info_bw = content_database_info($field_bw);
>
> $sql = "SELECT n.nid, n.title FROM {node} n JOIN {".
> $db_info_bw['table'] . '} bw ON n.vid=bw.vid';

I *knew* this form of abstraction exists, I just never got around to it yet.
Thanks for the pointer.

I am still thinking how can this sort of queries can be exposed to the UI. I
believe the natural place is views, but am not sure exactly how. The straight
forward way would be to make all parent's fields/filters/args available in
the views admin screens. I see two problems with this approach:
(o) The list of fields will quickly be cluttered by tons of 'Relativity:
Parent of <something>: <something else' fields
(o) I am also not sure this is at all possible. It requires adding all the
relevant tables through relativity.parent_nid instead of node.nid, and reuse
all the filter and arguments handlers..

Any other thoughts?

OTOH, maybe the use case is just weak, so this is really a non-issue..

--
Yuval Hager