[development] How to develop and maintain your contribution (and use branches wisely)

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Thu Oct 25 19:30:55 UTC 2007

[I agree with Moshe -- let's not hijack my other message (which
wasn't even meant to be a "thread", just an FYI) with all this talk
about managing changes, releases, branches, etc...]

On Oct 25, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> DB and API changes must happen in a new branch. Any given branch
> should not contain anything else but bugfixes just like Drupal core.

I believe chx has in mind a certain release of CCK that fundamentally
altered the schema and API (of a module that dozens of others depend
on), which just showed up as another official release in the 5.x-1.*
"stable" series (i forget the exact version number).  The CCK
developers have been sufficiently harassed about this in the past, so
I don't want to re-open that discussion (or those wounds). ;)

Some things to keep in mind:

A) In general, chx is right: a stable branch of your contribution
should remain stable, and only have bug fixes applied.  If you're
adding features and/or changing the database schema, that should be
happening in a separate branch, clearly marked as such, and people
using releases from that branch should know what they're getting into.

B) Point (A) is *especially* important for API modules that others
depend on.

C) Sometimes the only way to fix a bug is to change the schema or the
API, so you actually have to use some judgement in each case.

D) I'm not sure about adding a "Schema change" term in the "Release
type" vocabulary.  Let's continue this particular part of the
discussion in the issue queue:
http://drupal.org/node/186623

E) This is all fairly subjective -- there are different approaches
depending on the module, the maintainer, the user-base, etc:

For example, merlinofchaos seems to treat each official release of
views on his "stable" branches almost like a whole new release series
on its own.  He goes through the whole beta/rc process each time,
gets lots of testing, etc.  So, he still adds new features, and
sometimes even alters the schema (as per his message to the other
thread).  views is probably the single most important contrib module,
with literally 1000s of sites depending on it.  Because Earl is so
careful, and because everyone has an interesting in helping him test/
debug new views releases, this system works pretty well, and allows
him to not go completely insane supporting way too many different
versions of the views codebase.  That said, if he's adding new
features to 5.x-1.x-dev on the way to the 5.x-1.7 release, and
there's a security bug in 5.x-1.6 he has to fix, he's in something of
a bind, since there's no good way to quickly get a 5.x-1.7 out to
just fix the security problem without also introducing potentially
instable code from the new features he already added. :(  So, I can't
recommend this as a Best Practice(tm), and it really only works for
Earl since he's super-human. ;)  Also, he's careful not to commit new
features that are "too big" on his stable series, and certainly not
fundamental re-factoring of the API, schema, etc.

Other modules do what I'm suggesting as the default: they keep the
5.x-1.* series for bug fixes, and work on new features and schema
changes in the 5.x-2.* series.  New official releases on the 5.x-2.*
series don't each require a bunch of beta/rcs, since everyone
understands this is unstable code, and they shouldn't be building
production sites out of it just yet.  Eventually, when the feature
set settles down and the maintainer is happy, they can declare
5.x-2.* stable, make that the official version, and start work on the
5.x-3.* series to keep adding new features (or not, and say they're
only going to start adding new functionality in the 6.x-2.* series
once the current feature set is ported to 6.x and the 6.x-1.* stable
series is out).

Sadly, I think many (most?) module developers aren't careful about
this at all.  They just commit whatever they want to all of their
branches (or don't really use branches at all).  This is
unfortunate.  Most developers in this boat either plead ignorance
("But CVS is Too Hard(tm), so this is my only choice") or laziness
("I don't have time to maintain a bunch of different branches"). I
can completely sympathize with both how intimidating CVS can be
(especially if you're not used to revision control or release
management), and how much work it can be to maintain something
responsibly.

To address the ignorance, there is a lot of good (Drupal-specific)
documentation about CVS in our handbooks and that learning this is
time well-spent.  The hardest part is understanding the fundamental
ideas of release management and branches, which is true across any
version control system you'll ever use for the rest of your life.
http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs

In terms of the effort it takes to maintain different branches, there
are ways to make this less time consuming.  Also, keep in mind that
some extra care to maintain a stable branch that most of your users
depend on will probably save you time in the long run -- instead of
running around trying to deal with the increased support load
generated by having people building sites with your unstable code.

There's lots more to say about all of this, but if I keep writing it
here, chances are lower and lower people will read it. ;)  So, if
anyone is going to be in the Bay Area for BADCamp, they should come
to my workshop about exactly these topics:

http://badcamp07.org/07/sessions/how-develop-and-maintain-your-drupal-
contribution

Even if you're not there, I plan to write up some concise
documentation about all this, both as a handout for my talk, and then
eventually as handbook pages on d.o.  Anyone who's willing to help
with this task, please let me know (off-list), and we can coordinate.

Thanks,
-Derek (dww)