[development] How to develop and maintain your contribution (and use branches wisely)

Colan Schwartz colan at openject.com
Mon Oct 29 15:10:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:30:55PM -0700, Derek Wright wrote:
> To address the ignorance, there is a lot of good (Drupal-specific)
> documentation about CVS in our handbooks and that learning this is
> time well-spent.  The hardest part is understanding the fundamental
> ideas of release management and branches, which is true across any
> version control system you'll ever use for the rest of your life.
> http://drupal.org/handbook/cvs

The real problem here, at last for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one
in this position), is that I spend all day working with Subversion.  When
I occasionally get a chance to work on my modules on d.o., I have to go
back to the documentation and re-learn how to use CVS.

Having said that, I believe that my modules have proper releases; it's
just that it takes me longer to get them out the door.  Not that I
necessarily want to open that whole CVS/Subversion debate (or maybe I
do), but it's just that if a lot of developers are using Subversion,
they'd be much more comfortable getting d.o. modules released quicker if
the site used it as well.

I realize that CVS is imtimately tied to the site, but I do feel that
not having Subversion there hampers progress for a lot of folks.
-c.
--
Colan Schwartz
Internet Consultant  |  Openject Consulting  |  http://www.openject.com/