[development] CVS vs Subversion [WAS: How to develop and maintain your contribution (and use branches wisely)]

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Mon Oct 29 17:07:00 UTC 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> CVS and SVN aren't that different in command structure.

Correct.

>> I realize that CVS is imtimately tied to the site, but I do feel that
>> not having Subversion there hampers progress for a lot of folks.

This debate comes up every few months.  To quote Linus (via chx):

"Those who can, do.  Those who can't, complain."

> See http://groups.drupal.org/node/4272 for correcting that.

Actually, no.  The most current iteration is now going on in the
infrastructure issue queue:

http://drupal.org/node/187019

See that issue (in particular, comment #19) for updated reasons why
this isn't going to happen anytime in the next N months without a
major influx of help from people who can (and links for those people
who want to do something).  Complaining about it will only slow it down.

If this new thread here on the devel list were a d.o forum post, I'd
disable comments at this point, since if it continues, it's only
going to generate a lot of heat and noise but no light or progress.

Thanks,
-Derek (dww)

p.s. As I tried to make clear in my original message, one of the
important points of my "How to develop and maintain your
contributions..." thread was that *NONE* of the things I'm trying to
encourage Drupal developers to do depends on which particular VCS we
use.  Every VCS has the notion of branches and tags, and they're all
conceptually the same (even if the implementation details are
different).  The main things people don't seem to understand yet are
the basic concepts of branching and tagging, and when/how to make
official releases.  I'd like to see us as a community "master" those
concepts before we worry about switching tools.  One step at a time.

p.p.s. @Earnie: thanks for having the good sense to fork the thread
instead of continuing with the hijack of the important thread I had
started.  @Colan: tsk, tsk for hijacking in the first place. ;)