[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 2 18:05:05 UTC 2007

Quoting Darren Oh <darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com>:

> So far this whole discussion seems to be a case of ask the wrong
> question, get the wrong answer. I have seen no evidence to suggest
> that one cannot write some code that depends on non-free software,
> release it under the GPL, and have the GPL apply to that code. What
> would be against the spirit of the GPL would be to write code that
> depends on GPL software and to release only a compatibility layer
> under the GPL, keeping the main functionality non-free. Since 1) the
> third-party apps that are being integrated do not depend on Drupal
> and 2) the module authors do not own the rights to the code in the
> third-party apps, this issue is irrelevant to the situation under
> discussion.

That is how I see the issue.  I have two different components one GPL
licensed one some other license.  I need to write software to
communicate between the two.  I have the right to license it as I see
fit.  Since I wish to use the Drupal methods of distribution I need to
use GPL.  I also have the right as the copyright owner to license this
new work under some other license.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/