[development] db_query and serialized arrays

William Smith william.darren at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:53:47 UTC 2007

Hi all -

I have an sql query that needs to insert a serialized array as one of the
columns.  However, the serialized data never makes it properly into the DB,
I think because db_query strips out the curly braces.  Take the following
serialized associative array:

'a:2:{s:10:"Cardiology";s:10:"Cardiology";s:11:"Dermatology";s:11:"Dermatology";}'

This ends up being stored as
'a:2:s:10:"Cardiology";s:10:"Cardiology";s:11:Dermatology";s:11:Dermatology";'
(no curly braces), and I am therefore unable to unserialize() it.

What is the way around this, other than fudging it and taking my result as a
string and manually pushing the curly braces into place before attempting to
unserialize?

Thanks,
William