[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Darren Oh darrenoh at sidepotsinternational.com
Mon Sep 3 23:43:58 UTC 2007

Since the FSF does not hold the copyright for Drupal, all that
matters is what the GPL actually says. To quote, "The FSF folks, when
I asked about this, basically said that it was probably violating the
spirit of the GPL but not the letter."

I still think the wrong question was answered. The GPL is a one-way
infection: non-free software cannot GPL components, but GPL code can
use non-free components. To quote again: "While the GPL only covers
distribution, they consider it a GPL violation to *distribute
software that is intended to be used in violation of the GPL*. In
other words, distributing a proprietary commercial piece of software
that relies on GPL libraries, and telling people, 'We can't put X
into our program, but you can to make it work...' is creating a GPL-
derived program just as much as rolling the GPL'd libraries in and
then distributing."

There is a possibility that a third-party app may have a similarly
viral license that is incompatible with the GPL. In that case, it
would not be legal to distribute a module that makes use of the app.