[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Sep 4 06:03:07 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 04 September 2007, David Strauss wrote:

> I would love to have someone clear up any errors in my interpretation.
> While I love the FSF, they have a vested interest in presenting the GPL
> as viral as possible. So, I don't consider their FAQ to be a reliable,
> unbiased source.

I think we're at the point where we all need to wait while someone finds a
real lawyer to ask, since we're just going around in circles and even
admitting it. :-)

So, what pertinent questions should be asked of an actual lawyer, not employed
by FSF, by whoever it is that is doing so (Drupal Association, a consulting
firm, whoever)?  I would start with:

Scenario: There exists non-GPL system.  A Drupal module is written that allows
Drupal to access that system via its APIs within a PHP process.  That module
is committed to Drupal CVS, and therefore distributed under the GPL.  Legal
or illegal?

Scenario: There exists non-GPL system.  A Drupal module is written that allows
Drupal to access that system via some external API (XML-RPC, SOAP, REST,
HTTP, or some other non-shared-memory-space system).  That module is
committed to Drupal CVS, and therefore distributed under the GPL.  Legal or
illegal?

Scenario: There exists a non-GPL system.  A Drupal module is written that
allows Drupal to access that system via either of the methods listed above
(in-process or out-of-process).  That module is provided by its author to a
client/customer for use with their non-GPL system, without going through
Drupal CVS.  Under what licenses (GPL, non-GPL, or ownership transfer with
reverse license) could that module be legally provided to said client?

(Scenario 3 is actually a couple of scenarios rolled into one, but it's easier
than restating every possible combination.)

We're not lawyers.  Let's find one so we can put this issue to rest and get
back to writing GPLed code in the first place. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson