[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 5 18:01:19 UTC 2007

Quoting Jeff Eaton <jeff at viapositiva.net>:

> On Sep 3, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Darren Oh wrote:
>
>> I still think the wrong question was answered. The GPL is a one-way
>> infection: non-free software cannot GPL components, but GPL code
>> can use non-free components.
>
> Your position is one interpretation of the GPL. It is contradicted by
>  the GPL FAQ, and what the original authors of the GPL said when
> specifically asked. I can't really say anything more, I'm just
> relaying what I have been told.

My GPL library, program, module, wrapper, etc cannot be a conduit for
the GPL virus.  I can use a non-GPL library (open source or
proprietary) in my module and still license it as GPL.  This doesn't
cause the non-GPL library to then become GPL.

What I can't do is use a non-GPL library whose license is incompatible
with the GPL license and then distribute my module.  An incompatible
license is one that counteracts or conflicts with the statements of the
GPL.  I cannot distribute two differing viral licenses.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/