[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Thomas Barregren thomas at webbredaktoren.se
Thu Sep 6 07:18:15 UTC 2007

Bryan Ruby skrev:
> The issue though comes down to whether Drupal.org has a vested
> interest in protecting its license and ultimately the community's own
> software.  In many countries, the history of how an organization
> protects its copyright, trademarks, licenses, and other intellectual
> property is significant in determining who has ultimate ownership.  If
> Drupal.org allows itself to distribute modules that are known to
> contain code that is not compatible (subject to debate I know) with
> the GPL license then in practice Drupal.org is not enforcing it's own
> license.  Down the road a company could redistribute modified version
> of Drupal claiming and claim they are under no obligation to "give
> back" to the community due to Drupal.org's own historical lack of
> enforcing the GPL.  At least that's how I interpret in a non-lawyer
> way the main concern if Drupal.org continues the way it goes it how it
> handles contributed modules.

Violating the very same license we require other to conform to
definitely diminishes our own cause. But I cannot see how that can be
used to justify, morally or legally, further violation. That would be to
say: "Since you stole that bike, it is okay for me to steel it from
you." Don't you agree?

Best regards,
Thomas