[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Vivek Puri crystalcube at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 11:01:52 UTC 2007

> How could be any code designed by its author to be
> under the GPL be in violation of the GPL?

very simply by not complying to it ;)
But thats the whole discussion is about as to under
what circumstances this so called violation happens.
GPL doesn't just defines the license it also defines
the whole mumbo jumbo around interfacing.

I am not sure most people here are aware but MySQL
made their Libraries from LGPL to GPL but have given a
small exception to PHP to include MySQL libraries. So
basically if you connect a piece of software to
another , in case of GPL , both have to comply, Unless
an exception is granted.

So in essence to be able to use any bridge Drupal have
to grant exception to all such bridges. Which is not
easy unless all the contributors can be tracked and
they agree to it.