[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:01:04 UTC 2007

On 9/7/07, Thomas Barregren <thomas at webbredaktoren.se> wrote:
> But if your program and the other program are
> linked, even if it is done only at runtime, and make function calls to
> each other and share data structures, your module is a derivative work
> of the other program as well.

If this is true and legally correct (and I understand it), then we are
lucky the FSF doesn't have the money to sue thousands of cases in
court.  Because every time a GPL program is compiled and run on a
non-GPL operating system, it's going to be breaking this "rule."  No
GPL software could be run on Mac OS or Windows, if it called the OS or
any GUI API.

Such is the spiral of insanity that this provision of the GPL causes.